10-8-ious

It's a reflection of my mood -- anything is possible!

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A Postcard-Perfect Love

When I was a child I collected postcards. I had shoeboxes full of them – some had been sent to me and some had been passed on to me from other people. I didn’t travel much as a child – not that I was deprived or anything, but my family just didn’t do elaborate family vacations. So my postcards in a way were fantasies – I new that all these beautiful places existed, because people had been there and written on the backs of them. I new they were real, but it wasn’t MY reality and I had no expectation that I might ever be in a place on a postcard.

Of course, as I got older I moved around some and traveled a bit, even to places with postcards. I lived in the Seattle area with my sister for a while, and one weekend we headed out to the Olympic Peninsula for some hiking and camping. We did this one hike that traversed through a dense, dark forest and ended on an incredible, pristine beach with these huge rock formations that had been carved out by the tide into big arch formations. It was a perfect day – the sun was bright, the beach was deserted, and the place was literally breath taking. A feeling of euphoria ran through me that I had never experienced before – I turned to my sister and said “I’m in a postcard!” It felt as though I had stepped out of my reality and into some other fantasy dimension. I knew that places like this existed, but I never had any expectation that I would be in a place like that.

Pretty early on in our relationship, I remember a particular spring morning that Emmot and I were lounging around the house enjoying each other. In a peaceful moment I had that same feeling of euphoria wash over me. I realized that I was in a truly amazing relationship with the most perfect man for me. It felt like something out of a storybook. I always knew that some people had very special, deep relationships, but I never had an expectation that I would be in a relationship like that.

I often tell Emmot that he is the man of my dreams, but I have to stop and correct myself, because it’s not true – I never dreamt of anyone as wonderful as he is; I never imagined being in a relationship as strong, honest, and respectful as ours is. I am thankful EVERY day for the gift of our love.


I love you. You are my best friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home